
Hellooww everyone! Have you taken part in any environmental-friendly act recently? Well, I did! And I consider myself fortunate to be able to go as a church to help out in the “Plant-a-Tree” project that took place last Saturday @Westgate Park, Melbourne. A big round of applause for all the organizers that have made it happen!!! *standing ovation* I truly admire your boldness and passion in organizing this project. You definitely have a heart for this community, and I know you’re helping us to do that too.
Let’s see…there were altogether about 30 people who signed up for the above activity and no matter how cold the weather was on that day, we still come because of a simple reason- we CARE. Honestly speaking, I haven’t been to the place before and don’t even know such a park exist. I live opposite my university along Swanston st in Carlton and goes to a church in the city. So technically speaking, I haven’t been much outside the city and have stayed in the comfort and familiarity of Swanston Street- living the typical uni student life. It’s easy to think that life is all about being comfortable and problem-free when in fact, there’s problems every day we faced. Even so, just because my life seems to be in tip-top condition, doesn’t make the world the same. Yes yes, we can do a part by simply throwing our rubbish in the right bin, close the tap when it’s not used, switch off the light when we don’t need it etc. But that’s only the basic responsibility of every person and that can’t solve present environmental issues such as drought in parts of Melbourne. Sometimes, we just have to take a Leap of Faith to engage in the community for real changes to take place. I do have the desire in my heart that wants to make this world a better place but I am not sure which step to take. When “Plant-a-Tree” project was announced, I knew immediately that this was the answer. Ok enough about this “heart-to-heart” talk, let me briefly describe the things we did that made last Saturday a very meaningful one. Upon reaching the park, we were briefed and guided by 2 Australian men and later I found out that they come to the park every weekend for planting and mulching. And every week, there may be groups of volunteers (like us) who come to help. The tasks were to relocate the plants from downhill to uphill, watering those new plants and something else called mulching. Even though, it was tiring I have to admit, the result was very rewarding and worth every sweat (if there is any). Indeed, each and every one of us did something that is so simple and might seem insignificant within the three hours period. But put together, it certainly has made a difference! At the end of the day, they showed us the changes that Westgate park has seen from few years back to now. When I looked at that, somehow I pictured a green, green park in the years to come and there will not be a single patch of bare land around anymore!
One thing that I am sure of is that we have MADE A DIFFERENCE by taking part in the project...and so can you! There’s a part to play for each and every one of us to make this world a better place. GBU all! :)
"If you want to make this place a better place, take a look at yourself and then make that change." - MJ
No comments:
Post a Comment