First of all, I would like to wish everyone reading this
Merry Christmas 2015 & Happy New Year 2016!
And in German (Deutsch):
Frohe Weihnachten u. einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr 2016!
So, just an update on my life at the moment:
1. My German level is B2.1. (intermediate)
2. Home is currently Düsseldorf. (since Sept)
3. Life is much better here than in Halle. (better food/more int'l/shopping haven/closer to France, Netherland and Belgium)
4. I am both a housewife and student at the moment.
5. Haven't hit the gym (or any intensive workout) since 4 months ago.
6. Naturally I have put on weight due to the sedentary lifestyle. Terrible!
7. I ride my bicycle to class Mondays to Fridays when it's not raining.
8. I cook most of the time. I prefer easy and quick rather than troublesome.
9. I play Badminton, watch movies and eat out once a while with friends from class.
10. Minimal shopping because we have to save money.
My wish list for 2016:
1. A job (mini or professional, at least something that pays €/$)
2. A driving licence!
3. Travel!!! (March: Singapore/Indonesia, May: Italy)
4. Go to a concert/musical
5. Photography course
6. Better cooking skills
7. Guitar at home
8. Lose weight!!! (by doing regular yoga/pilates at home or jogging/swimming regularly)
9. See my family again!
10. A best friend in Düssie!
I believe I'm making baby steps at the moment in adapting to my new life here. Taking into consideration that it is totally different life than Singapore/Australia. They speak different here. They have tons of rules to follow. They eat and drink different here. It's definitely a culture shock at the beginning. I still remember back in June in Halle... When Andreas was at work or on night duties, I was so afraid to go to the grocery store to buy phone credit or food and I would wait for him to come back to do that. I think it took me a month or so, in order to pluck up the courage to use my German to ask for a phone credit. That was not as easy as it seems. Now I don't have to buy phone credit every month as I am on phone plan. Thank God! And I can go grocery shopping on my own with my bike after class. But time to time, I need Andre to accompany me, especially to the administration offices. I am not as confident in speaking formally to officers. Whenever they asked, if I would like them to speak English or German, I would always choose the easier option English. :) I know I will get there. It just requires some time to get used to things. It's definitely a challenge for me surviving here without close family or friends. Everything is simply new. And it seems that the more I learn and use German, the less fluent and precise I become in English. Urgh. Hence I am writing this blog in English now. I'm satisfied with it but now and again I do type things weirdly without noticing. Like that time I wrote my family postcard for Christmas and it's filled with spelling corrections. Sorry fams! It's the thought that counts right? ;)
As to the question of when to have a baby, I am targetting 2017 but again, it depends on God's timing. I believe He will give it to us when we're ready. Before that, we are making ourselves right with God and prepare to be good parents for our future kids.
Oh, and also many of my close friends and family are married now. The year 2015 is filled with marriages. Valerie in August. Ce Fen2 in September. Sally in December. And many other girls too from POJ. Already marriages are planned for 2017 and invitations have been sent. Xue Li in May and Jia Ling maybe at the end of year. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as it used to for me to attend weddings, when I'm at the other end of the world... That's the disadvantage of living so far away from your family & friends. Dislike.
But on the positive note, I guess there's lots of benefits too. I can get to explore a whole different world here. Their perspectives and reasonings. Their languages and cultures. It's definitely interesting and I wouldn't change the decision to move here if I can. I met people who came to Germany for education, work or holiday. The education here is freaking cheap! I think I can be a student the whole of my life if I want to. Hahs! Jkd. But seriously. The semester fee is only €300-500 in the public uni. And you get free transport ticket across the state when you are a student. How awesome is that! Travel benefits peeps! But yea, thinking of doing homework or studying for exams just gives me headaches. Also we are much closer now to the US/UK!
Til here for now. I will update laters when I can (or remember to). I can't wait to see fireworks for the New Year (they called it Silvester here)! :D
With warmest wishes from winter-cold Düssie,
R
No comments:
Post a Comment